It was the beginning of my senior year in high school, and F•R•I•E•N•D•S (I'll only write it out with the dots this once. Promise) premiered, captivating us for
a decade, inspiring hairstyles (Admit it. You totally had The Rachel at some point!) and bucket list items (I can't be the only one who has wanted to romp in that fountain!), resurrected the popularity of the name Emma, and I'm pretty sure they're responsible for the whole "furniture placed in random locations as photo prop" phenomenon.
Since it's been in syndication, I've seen most episodes a dozen times or more, but there is still the occasional one where I don't remember it or never saw it, and it's like finding one last caramel in the box of chocolates when you thought all that was left was nougat. (Blech)
FRIENDS is exactly half my age. I was 17 when it started, I'm 34 now. (Cue sentimental music) If it was a person, it would be graduating high school this year. Looking back now, watching them each turn 30, I can't believe I'm now older than they ever were... like Will & Grace, they'll always be "grown-ups" in my mind, even as I out-age and out-wrinkle their video-preserved selves.
I still use FRIENDS terminology on a daily basis...
- How YOU doin'?
- Could I BE any ________?
- You don't go commando in another man's pants (OK, I don't really use this one daily"
- I'm "sorry" with Joey's misplaced air quotes
- Smelly cat
- You're my lobster
- I'm just the oven, totally their bun
- We were on a break!
So tell me... what are YOUR favorite FRIENDS moments?
