Blogging Challenge #2

For info on this challenge, check out this post!
Click here to see a complete list of the prompts.

Do you enjoy reading? What do you read and when? What's your favorite book ever?

I am absolutely a reader. I'm reading all the time. When I was kid, I was reading the cereal box at breakfast, slowing my eating down, driving my mom crazy. I always had my nose in a book; being sent to my room wasn't a punishment! It was a chance to read uninterrupted for a while!
Along with my constant reading is the spotting of typos; it comes with my work. They make me crazy, and can turn me off an otherwise great story in moments.
I read whenever I can; part of me wishes my commute (50 minutes/50 miles) was into the City so I could take BART and have free reading time... I usually have a book with me. If not in my hand, it's in my car. I read when I'm waiting for appointments, I'll squeeze in a few pages while pumping gas, and I've even glanced at a page or two when stuck in exceptionally bad traffic! (It was at a crucial part of one of the Twilight books... I couldn't help it!)
I'll read almost anything that's handed to me... trashy magazines, British chick lit, sci-fi thrillers... I don't read a lot of non-fiction, but if a topic really interests me, I will. I read fast; it's not a big deal for me to finish a book in a day or two. Since I've been off hemodialysis, I have a LOT less time to read... Max isn't into letting me sit quietly and get lost in words.
I'm currently reading a Harlen Coben novel, and just read a Dean Koontz book last week... my dad and I tend to get kind of obsessed with authors; Dennis Lehane, Carl Hiaasen, Janet Evanovich, Harlen Coben... we'll read all of an author's books back to back, handing them back and forth between us.
I don't have a favorite book ever... I usually say it's whatever the last thing I read was; I rarely, if ever, re-read a book. Jamie had read the Lord of the Rings books a dozen or more times, he loves them that much. I'm not like that... I'd rather meet new characters than revisit ones I already know. (Unless it's a new book in a series... I *love* characters that span series of books!)
So I can't name a favorite, but a few books that I've read that have stuck with me are: The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde: A series of 3 books featuring a woman named Thursday Next... kind of complex and hard to follow at moments, but very interesting! The Know-it-All by AJ Jacobs: He's a very funny writer who decided to read the entire Encyclopaedia Britannica. Lots of interesting little tidbits scattered throughout this super easy read. Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance by Atul Gawande: Very. very interesting collection of anecdotes from this doctor who has travelled the world. And last is the Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella... I love British chick lit for some reason, and even though there were more than a few times I wanted to *strangle* Becky Bloomwood, these were fun, easy reads that are perfect for lazy days at the beach sipping frilly drinks with umbrellas in them.

Next week's prompt: 10/16/09 What is a specific moment/event that made you realize you were truly "a grown-up"?