I've been an Episopalian all my life... even when I went through the required "questioning of my faith" as a teenager, I did my reasearch, and came home to the church I knew.
I say now, as an adult, that it's because I agree with The Episcpoal Church as a political being as well as its beliefs being what my own are formed upon. I'm proud to say I am a member of my church, and I am proud of things they (we) have done to improve the world around us and to do good works.
Tomorrow morning, in Washington DC, the Episcopal Church will welcome the Most Rev. Dr. Katharine Jefferts Schori, previously Bishop of Nevada, as our twenty-sixth Presiding Bishop. She will serve as chief pastor to the Episcopal Church's 2.4 million members in 16 countries and 110 dioceses, ecumenical officer, and primate, joining leaders of the other 38 Anglican Provinces in consultation for global good and reconciliation. Jefferts Schori was elected at the 75th General Convention on June 18, 2006 and will be invested at the Washington National Cathedral on November 4, 2006.
For the first time in its 400 year history, the church will be headed up by a woman... a 52 year old oceanographer who came to the priesthood only 12 years ago! She has a mathematician hisband, and a 25 year old daughter who is in the Air Force. She supports the blessing of same-sex unions, the ordination of gay priests, and attended CDSP! (A local seminary)
It is decisions like this one that make me truly proud to be a member of this church... in an age where people fight against equal rights under a banner of "Gods intentions" this woman is not afraid to stand up to those who disagree.
(If you interested, you can read her official biography here.)
God bless you, and keep you, Bishop Jefferts Schori.