Call *him* Al... Call him Al!

I got to meet Al Franken on Tuesday!



My local Air America affiliate, The Quake had an event that included bringing Al in to do a live broadcast from City Hall.

The morning started off with "Keeping it Real with Will and Willie," featuring comedian Will Durst and Da (former) Mayor, Willie Brown. They had several guests, including Ed Shultz and Al Franken.

Will Durst, Paul Wells, Al Franken, Willie Brown and Ed Shultz

Will Durst, Willie Brown and Al Franken


It was all fun and cool and whatever, but I have to tell you the *coolest* part... Al brought on this guy, Bob. Bob was Al's driver the last time he was in town, for his book tour back in October or so. He said that Bob had shared all kinds of wisdom and insight, so he wanted to bring him on to share that insight with everyone.
Bob comes up on stage, and during the commercial break, is getting settled in for the broadcast.
Then it hits me.
I approach the table, and ask the security guy that's there if I can ask Bob a question. (We weren't supposed to try and talk to Al in between segments) He looked a little confused that I wanted to speak to Bob instead of Al, so he said OK.

"How long have you been driving here in the Bay Area?" I asked Bob.
"Oh, about 12 years or so, I think..."
"OK. Because you drove me for my senior ball 11 years ago!"
Bob and Al both look at me and kind of blink.
"I remember you," I said, "because we had to stop in Berkeley to use the restroom! You took us to a fancy hotel, and we girls were afraid of getting in trouble, that we shouldn't be in there. And to this day, I remember what you said. You told us that the secret is to *always* walk into a room like you own it! No one will question you if you don't appear to be questioning yourself! I've used that bit of advice more than once since then"
It was very sweet, Bob just smiled and said "Thanks so much for remembering me! That really makes me day!"
And I went and sat down.

But then, Al brought up my story on the air! LOL Using it as proof that Bob is so cool, some girl remembered him from so many years back!

Anyway, it was such a cool small world moment, I'll remember it always!

I got my copy of The Truth with Jokes signed, one for me, one for my dad, and headed home.

It was very cool!