Aren't Christmas newsletters *all* about bragging?

I've always kind of assumed that they're just so that you can brag to loved ones about your and your children's accomplishments of the previous year! Mrs. got promoted, Mr. closed a Big Deal, Junior got straight As and Sally is playing on varsity as a sophomore!
Or am I wrong?
My darling sister informed me today that she and BIL are thinking about sending out a newsletter this year. "But you don't have kids!" I said. "They're for bragging about your kids!" She replies (quite curtly mind you... she rattles this list of quite quickly, so I know she's gone through it before) "We've done a LOT this year! We got married, got a new dog, went to St. Lucia {their honeymoon}, I got a new job, we went to Hawaii {the traditional "You've been married for 7 months vacation I guess?}... we have lots of stuff to share!"
Ummm..... OK. I give up. *eyeroll*

In other (better) news! I can cross a couple of names off my shopping list! Went in with my mom and sister on BIL's gift, got Jamie's sister's gift, and know what I'm getting for mom... so I'm good! *whew!*