J and I went to the season premier of the San Jose Ballet.
We felt like such grown ups! Jamie wore a suit and I wore all black, with heels and hose even!
We got to the venue and had a bit of time before the show, so we ordered drinks and sat in the lobby, a great place to people watch while sipping champagne.
I was completely appalled (is that the word I want? I think it is) to see what people were wearing... I did see several very handsome gentlemen in tuxes, and some lovely older ladies with velvet wraps and evening gowns, but the majority of people completely disappointed me.
There was a group of younger adults (younger than me but out of high school, I think) who looked like they had just stepped out of an Abercrombie catalog (and I mean like this kind of Abercrombie... not the cute stuff!) Tattered kahkis, flip flops and tee shirts. At the ballet? On a Friday night? For the season premier? *sigh*
I really do think people are *too* casual in this society... I wish people still wore hats and gloves, and made an effort when going to an event like the ballet... it's what I miss most about swing dancing... getting dressed up was half the fun!
Sure, I could start wearing hats when I go out... but that isn't it. I want a return to that and what goes with it. People were more kind to one another, not in so much of a hurry all the time.
I *know* there are lots of reasons I would not have enjoyed living in the these bygone eras... but I still can't help but dream...